Monday, June 20, 2011

I Just Watched: Midnight in Paris

The first reason I was reeling to see Woody Allen's latest love affair with one of the greatest cities in the world? The Van Gogh imagery on the movie poster (re: "Starry Starry Night"). It is pure gorgeousness (yes, I just said that) and happens to be mimicking one of my all-time favorite works of art, no matter how cliché that may sound. That said, Woody Allen movies have often been hit or miss when it comes to my taste and this one was definitely a hit. Owen Wilson was incredibly charming as the film's hero and his nightly rendezvous of Parisian streets opened up the most delightful, hilariously accurate portrayals of some of the most famous artists in history, including Hemmingway, Picasso and Dalí (as well as Kathy Bates' lovely Gertrude Stein). Not to mention, I loved the intimate look at how an author receives and acts on inspiration for his/her novel.
Best on-screen moment: Gil's (Wilson) hilarious discussion with Dalí (Adrian Brody) and other surrealists about time travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment